This legislation will include:
- Assessment, prevention, and remediation for students with dyslexia.
- Systematic, explicit reading instruction.
- Instruction taught by a teacher adequately trained and coached.
- Professional development of teachers, administrators, and superintendents stressing an understanding of dyslexia and what type of instruction dyslexics need to learn to read, write and spell.
- After the bill takes effect, if the district does not have teachers who are properly trained, the district must provide a qualified tutor to work with students during the school day.
- Education majors at all universities/colleges in OH must be educated about dyslexia as part of the reading curriculum.
- Professors of education as all universities/colleges in OH must be educated about dyslexia and effective methods of teaching these students.
Raising Awareness about dyslexia is key to the passage of this Bill. A DYSLEXIA AWARENESS DAY is planned for April 22, 2009. Details for this day are forth coming.
A web site is being planned that will explain how you can help.
In the meantime, spread the word about this legislation. This Bill will change the lives of so many struggling students in OH.
Stay tuned to this blog for further updates.